US Army's Succesor to the Black Hawk
The US Army has selected Bell Helicopter's V-280 Valor and Boeing and Sikorsky's SB 1 Defiant to move forward as part of the Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft’s (FLRAA) Competitive Demonstration and Risk Reduction Program (CD&RR) program.

The FLRAA program, formally initiated in 2019, is intended to field a new long-range attack help for the service by fiscal year 2030 as a potential replacement for both the Black Hawk and, potentially, the service's AH-64 Apaches.

[Image: 2a72ke.jpg]
V-280 Valor
[Image: xJxc7E.jpg]
Sikorsky's SB 1 Defiant
Not a fan of the design. Also is it me or does the first one takes alot of space, while offering not so much space itself?
The top one is very attractive as a MEDEVAC platform. You can actually stand in the back and work on patients.

It also has twice the operational range and has a much greater top speed than the UH-60.

For air movement it has greater lift capability and more room for men and equipment in air assault.

Yes it has a slightly larger footprint, but I think it strikes a good balance for what we would get in increased capability.

I don't know as much about the Sikorsky, since I focus mainly on medical. However, I know it is much more agile and quick than anything else in our inventory. Basically, you combine the agility of the Kiowa or Lakota, with the power of an Apache or Blackhawk. Will be interesting to see what it can do.
(03-23-2020, 08:48 AM)McBride.J Wrote: The top one is very attractive as a MEDEVAC platform.  You can actually stand in the back and work on patients.

It also has twice the operational range and has a much greater top speed than the UH-60. 

For air movement it has greater lift capability and more room for men and equipment in air assault.

Yes it has a slightly larger footprint, but I think it strikes a good balance for what we would get in increased capability.

I don't know as  much about the Sikorsky, since I focus mainly on medical.  However, I know it is much more agile and quick than anything else in our inventory.  Basically, you combine the agility of the Kiowa or Lakota, with the power of an Apache or Blackhawk.  Will be interesting to see what it can do.
My first thought was "oh they look....new?" lol

Good to have some input from somebody with some knowledge on these things! If what you say turns out to be true, these would be great additions to the US arsenal especially for a Medic, like you said.

To follow up on the original post, it's interesting to see they are already attempting to phase out the Apache. I knew they wanted a replacement for the Hawk but I assumed the Apache was still doing just fine in its role and maybe just needed some upgrades to stay on top of its game for the next 15-20 years or so, similar to how they are treating the Abrams line of MBTs. Either way, maybe we will have the chance to try them out in the game soon.
How I read it is they want to consolidate different roles into one, as they've done with the F35. Of course you end up with one thing that doesn't do everything as good as the original because there was a reason they were specialized aircraft. The A-10 is a great example of this.
Yeah that always seems to be the downside with creating something that is jack-of-all-trades rather than a platform that is meant to do a specific job, but maybe technology is so advanced nowadays that this can be minimized. Like you said, Rich, the A-10 still enjoys fighting on battlefields well after its supposed service life because it absolutely excels at close air support and ground attack, but put it in a dog fight and it's probably dead 9 times out of 10.

I'm sure focusing on one platform to do a multitude of things is great for cost and logistics but hopefully that doesn't come as a detriment to the service members that have to use and rely on them.  I guess we will have our answer if these start getting put into production, you never know with these future replacement programs sometimes they get scrapped and they have to look for replacements all over again.